Friday, December 25, 2009

Last Session for OBC of the YEAR!!!

This morning reached Padang Merbok at around 5.35am. Didn't know what to expect 'cos Sarge Sim said it was a surprise. Didn't like the sound of that. What if it's more grunts... NOOOO!!!!

We were separated into our respective ranks and a team leader was elected.

Since Ravin was conveniently at the head of the file, he became our leader. We huddled up for a briefing. We're doing what? Ooooh... treasure hunt? I love treasure hunts ;P

So what's the catch? As I glanced over at the map, my heart flutters. Oh dear. Constant running and no more than 3 meters away from the person in front of you. Dum dum dummmmm (ominous music).

All in all, the Rangers (that's our group rank) had 4 checkpoints where we pick up 4 things. The map was a satellite image and it was clearly marked with checkpoint numbers. What did we have to pick up? Four Rifles, One Mock White Rifle (super heavy), a Stretcher with 4 Sandbags and a Jerrycan. Okay. We could do that. This is going to be fun.

We started out pretty well, 'cos our first checkpoint was in the parking lot itself. We came across the four rifles. Rifles is a codename for one of the "toys" we get to play with during OBC sessions. Its actually a PVC pipe the size of my arm and the length of maybe 3 feet or so filled with something (I suspect sand).

So far so good.

Then we jogged out towards the field, went past the field, onto the main road (of course on the sidewalk pavement for obvious safety reasons), jogged up a hill and found the mock white rifle. This rifle (another of those "toys" we play with) is a lot bigger than the 4 rifles we had. I think this one is filled with water. Not sure. But it's heavy, bulky and difficult to adjust for easy carrying.

Still so far so good.

We jogged back where we came from and cut straight across the Padang Merbok parking lot (where we usually start the day off with warm-ups). We jogged up the road (of course stopping for awhile for squat pulses, for breaching the 3 meter rule) till we reached the traffic light cross-section. Wait a minute. I think we overshot the road.

Now here is where things start to go wrong.

Ravin, our glorious leader (heh don't angry.. joke only :D), rechecked the map. We doubled back. We actually got lost and it's soooo funny when it happened 'cos we're trying to get our bearings but we're not allowed to stop to check the map. We have to do it running. So here we are jogging it out running around trying to figure out where to go. I don't know how many times we had to stop for squat pulses. Oh. And don't forget bounce-backs too. Sigh.

We finally found the road (of course after the maps switched hands for a bit), and it was an uphill battle from where I was jogging. My thighs were killing me!!! We came across a bicycle at the side of the road and someone asked jokingly if we could borrow it. I wish.

Finally we found what we were looking for. A stretcher with four sandbags on it. Four of our rank members grabbed it but we couldn't just jog back. Noooooo... that would be too easy. We had to jog the remainder of the way up and touch a white gate at the end of the road. It's still uphill. Sigh.

We jogged back down and passed the Seals and Deltas (two other group ranks who are definitely much fitter than us). As we passed each other, some broke out into a Christmas song. Talk about the spirit of bootcamp :) Oh. And before I forget to mention, note that almost everybody in KL Alpha (that's our overall group category) is wearing a red santa hat for training this morning.

Of course, at the bottom of the hill, we had to stop again for squat pulses (I really can't remember why but I do remember that I had the map in my hand and that Deltas and Seals passed us). I took the time during squat pulses to consult the map. Ah okay. I know where we are. Now onto the next check point.

We turned right and jogged back in the general direction of Padang Merbok. Looking the map, I had an idea of where to go. Going past the parking lot we jogged towards the other entrance road. Before long, we found the jerry can, which is so conveniently heavily filled with water. Things get passed around a bit so everyone carried something at least once. I remember the white rifle. It's so difficult to find a reasonably, comfortable way of carrying it. After awhile, Ravin took over from me. We jogged around the area a couple more rounds before we were finally allowed to go back to our station on the field.

We reached the field (all in one piece) and deposited our items and returned the map. Phew.

During the warm-down session (ohhh... that felt good), some jokes were bouncing around. Before the final hoo-yah was given, it was time for the giving of the Spirit of Bootcamp Award which goes to Armin Baniaz Pahamin (the mastermind behind ACE 100% Attendance, Commitment, Effort).

From L-R: Chun, Armin, Nyna

I feel he really earned the award. I know he motivated me during this month at bootcamp and also he's one of the main reasons that got me to start blogging again. So here I'd like to take the opportunity to say Thank You. Of course, this thanks goes out to all bootcampers I've met, you guys really motivated me and the encouragement really helped throughout this month.

After the session was officially over with the customery big HOO-YAH! to mark the end of the session. Farhanah brought out the cupcakes (which was soooo yummmyyy.... guilty guilty guilty).



After a few photo ops later, some of us went for breakfast in Hartamas at Bestari.

Me and Danny ordered Nasi Lemak guilty guilty guilty and Danny went around taking some photos :)





We'll meet up again tomorrow night for Peggy's farewell.


Peggy, we'll miss you!

All in all, this has been an amazing month. I had never thought I would have the willpower to go through with this but I did (ugh... so hard to pat myself on the back :P) and not only that I've enrolled for another month. OBC has really impacted my life. I feel healthier, fitter (although I think I've still got a long way to go to even match Shobs ;D) and best of all, I feel more rejuvenated.

Today was really a lot of fun, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next session on the 4th of January, 2010. Till then,

HOO-YAH!!

p.s. More photos on my Facebook. Too many to put here :D

1 comment:

ARMIN BANIAZ PAHAMIN said...

Well Done Ana,
You did not just survived 1-month at the Bootcamp but you also achieved 100% attendance!! that consistency will bring you far in life, love and career.

You are an important part of KL Alpha and the team. keep up with the good spirit. Hooyaah!!