Monday, December 21, 2009

The Day The Stitches Come Out

Woke up this morning (late by the way by 10 minutes) at 4.40am. Got ready for OBC and was hoping my gums won't throb. We reached Padang Merbok at around 5.30am (me, Danny and Puteri). Puteri couldn't join in the fray 'cos she fell down the stairs (AGAIN!!) and her right foot was swelling up. I didn't know what to expect this week, especially after I heard that the last week will be the most toughest week. Serious yikes!!


We started with our usual warm-up (I'm taking it easy a bit on my left knee) but it was a good feeling that I did not stop at all doing it. I looked at the sandbags with a sinking feeling but as a ranger I didn't have to take one. Okay. I get to concentrate on my breathing techniques. We started a jog in one file and moved off-site onto the pavement next to the main road.


Today we did bounce-backs where we run in loops depending on which landmark Sarge Sim decides on. The first time I stopped (which was down the roads a bit near the round-a-bout, I think.. I can't recall), I stopped because my gums were throbbing. OUCH!!!! I waited till the initial shock of pain subsided and continued on, not wanting to let the team down. For every person stopping, we were going to have to do bounce-backs. Second time I stopped, again 'cos I bit down. What the hell! This wasn't going to work. I figured if I kept my jaws apart, less chances of biting down. So doing breathing rhythm really works and helps me keep from biting down. I pushed on (and Danny stayed with me a bit to motivate me.. thank you Honey!!).


The cool thing is everyone is motivating everyone no matter how slow anyone was. I can hear the group calling out my name and telling me I could do it. And yeah. I did. I jogged when I can and when I got winded, I brisk-walked for a couple of minutes then jogged again. The key to it was not stopping at all. Even if your legs are killing you. At the end of it, even the briefest of breaks feels gratifying. Like you have noooo idea how good water tastes like after a workout like that.


After the bounce-back runs, we alternated between deep squats and push-ups. Deep squats are okay for me, it's the push-ups that I still have some trouble with. But I do realise 3 weeks down the line, my push-up form is definitely getting better. Hopefully, when I join for a 2nd month, it will be even better.

The last week of December is an off-week from OBC but me and Danny have already decided not to sit on our tush that week and still continue with some form of exercise so that our endurance can continue to build up.

I started this writing this post at home, but had to leave in a hurry before finishing it. Now I am continuing this post sitting in a coffee shop while waiting to go to a meeting. Station 1 has a nice environment and the menu is decently priced. I've ordered honey milk with ice and Danny is having ice blended white coffee. My drink is actually pretty good. The chair is quite comfy and there is a convenient wall point for my laptop. The music is pretty loud though but it's okay 'cos they mostly play easy music.

I'm dreading my appointment with the dentist to remove my stitches. Yes. Today is THE DAY! I do not know what to expect, although some friends and family have told me that there shouldn't be any extra pain in the removal. But still. Who knows? Each individual may be different, you know? Sigh.

Today is The Day The Stitches Come Out. Will update on the results when I can. Till then.

Adieu.

2 comments:

ARMIN BANIAZ PAHAMIN said...

Hooyaah Ana. keep up the blog, keep up the OBC Spirit and the ACE!

ARMIN BANIAZ PAHAMIN said...

And keep on Blogging.. :-D